Saturday, July 12, 2008

my earliest memories of "the disease" called asthma

As far back as I can remember, I've had asthma. I recall having an asthma attack or episode and being unable to sleep until late at night because of the discomfort. I would cry and my father would stay up with me, often reading books or telling me stories to calm me, until I finally dozed off.

There was one time when, after playing outside for a while, I felt so tired that I had to go back in the house to sit down. Soon, I was finding it very hard to breathe - inhaling deeply but drawing very little air into my lungs.
I was having an asthma attack. It was early afternoon and both my parents were at work. Only an aunt was there to look after me and she did not know what to do. She just gave me some water and gently stroked my back to comfort me. Again I started crying and eventually fell asleep from exhaustion.

During my preschool years, I was as active as any other child my age. I ran around and played as much as I could. The thought of having an asthma attack
when I over-indulged never kept me from doing all the things children enjoy. If I did get an episode, I would endure it, sometimes cry because I felt frustrated and irritated, then, after the attack subsided, forget about it and then get on with "my life".

When I started going to school, there was more to do, a lot more space to run around, and more friends to play with. And, of course, the asthma was still there. It was then that I became aware that I had to slow down a little to reduce the frequency of my asthma attacks. But these continued to happen even though I was more careful.

So it wasn't only because of over-exhaustion that I was getting sick. There were other things that triggered my asthma episodes. Dust, pollen, animal fur, changes in temperature and certain foods also caused it.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Mike,

Nice write up on asthma. I too had similar experiences when I was younger and still have a few episodes every now and then. I wanted to
ask you if your childhood doctor ever prescribed an inhaler like
Proventil or Albuterol? The only medicine my doctor prescribed back
then was Bisolvon (liquid) which was probably more for congestion than
for asthma. It wasn't until I moved here to the States that I
discovered the wonders of the inhaler as an immediately reliever of
asthma symptoms.

Dante

Mike I. said...

thanks dante.

i first used an inhaler when i started working. it was prescribed by the company doctor and i've used it ever since.

it does work really fast. although i have experienced being lightheaded, i think on three occasions already, when i overdosed on it so make sure to use it moderately, ok?

breathe easy bro.

peace.
-mike

Unknown said...

I feel happiness to read the content that you are posting.

this

Vimlesh Mahadik said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vimlesh Mahadik said...

Nice write up on asthma. I got an another topic in a website which is more informatic .. your can visit this site: symptoms of asthma

Health said...

https://non-communiable.blogspot.com/p/asthma-symptoms-andtreatment.html