Wednesday, July 23, 2008

my child has symptoms of asthma

Fast-forward to almost three decades later...

When my daughter, Arjanne, was about two years old, my wife, Kathy, and I noticed that she started to make faint wheezing sounds when she slept. At first we thought she was just snoring but because I have asthma which she may have inherited, we decided to take up our concern with her pediatrician. After observation and a thorough check-up, the doctor did confirm symptoms of asthma.

Arjanne was then made to use a nebulizer or atomizer - a machine that administers medicine in the form of mist to be inhaled directly either through a face mask or a mouthpiece. She had her sessions for about 15 minutes, twice a day for about a month.

Soon the wheezing sound was gone and my daughter has never even experienced a full blown asthma attack. However, she has colds and sneezing episodes usually in the morning; still considered asthma symptoms. At least, as of this writing, Arjanne has not experienced what I went through when I was growing up with asthma.

Her pediatrician told us that there is no cure yet for asthma but she did assure us that advances in medicine have improved the way that symptoms are managed.

My daughter is now eleven years old. In school she actively participates in sports and even joins dance production numbers during special occasions. Arjanne also enjoys swimming and riding her bike whenever she can. She is living a normal, healthy life because her asthma symptoms were given the proper attention and treatment early on.

1 comment:

dano said...

My daughter also had wheezing problem when she was under a year old. She's okay now.